A Shooting Star in the Neighbourhood

Almost 20 years ago I was embroiled in the Nigeria 419 internet scam.  The details are beyond this email - suffice it to say that as the result of my bank - the CIBC on Somerled's mistake in cashing a bogus $35,000 cheque - I had my accounts cancelled and was blackballed by the entire Montreal banking community for a very long time.  It also ended a friendship (just friendship) between Antoinette Guerierrero - the head teller and myself - which has never recovered.

For almost 10 years I did not have a bank account of my own.

At a certain point I tried to get an online account with Tangerine - and was successful.  I have a no fee, unlimited transaction (e-transfers, debit card use...) chequing account which I love.  It is accessible to everyone.  The drawback is that Tangerine does not have physical locations, but you can withdraw funds from over 3,500 ScotiaBank ATMs for free nationwide.

In 2020 I moved from our home on Hingston Ave to a beautiful condo in The Condors  across the street from Cote St. Luc Shopping Centre.  I got myself an account at the BMO directly across the street from my condo - primarily for the purpose of getting cash from the ATM - which gives denominations of $5, $10, $20 and $50.  Because I had just turned 60 - I was able to get a free, limited transaction no fee chequing account.

In recent weeks I have been assisting a friend to get her finances in order.  She was bleeding money from all orifices.  She is/was a client of CIBC Somerled (everything happens for a reason!) - paying almost $20/mth for a chequing account for which she never issued cheques.  We got her a no fee unlimited transaction chequing account through Tangerine to start.

We then registered her online for a no fee limited transaction chequing account with BMO Cote St Luc.  Because the signup process could not be completed online - we were made an appointment with the branch the following day.  We started working with a representative but got to a point where he was not sure where to go.  In came Jacob Connolly - a young, dynamic man with a great smile and attitude.  In minutes he squared everything away and we were on our way - content that we had everything we needed from BMO.

When we got home we tried to setup online banking for the BMO account and had numerous problems/challenges.  Without calling Jacob, we showed up at the branch and he immediately ushered us into his office - where he spent nearly 45 minutes taking care of all our banking needs.  In the process we spoke about numerous different topics.  He was a competitive swimmer and water polo player.  He does the very long commute from his home in Ile Perrot 5 days/week.  In this time I was introduced to one of the most intelligent and capable 27 year olds I have ever met - and I have met a great many people!  He is a world-changer!  If it is his will - he will be branch manager or even President of BMO.  I hope that is not his will.  I hope he aims much higher - to change the entire banking industry - making it much more customer-centric and much less focused on bottom line returns.

But for now, Jacob is working as a Personal Banking Associate at BMO - 6951 Cote St. Luc Road.  If you need anything within the banking spectrum, I urge you to reach out to him.  He can be reached at 514.877.9580 and/or jacob.connolly@bmo.com.  I promise he will do good by you!

Wishing you peace, love and joy always,





RossG3.ca


















 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heaven Right Here on Somerled (and elsewhere!)

From Moneyed to Moneyless

The Key to the Universe