Ye Olde Orchard: Butter Chicken Heaven!

Today I had a hankering for Chinese food - and planned my walk to take me on a path towards Soba and Sushi on Sherbrooke just east of Decarie.  When I got there, they were closed until 5pm - so I pointed myself north towards Monkland to see what else jumped out at me.  When I got to Old Orchard - the choice became clear - Ye Olde Orchard!

While the restaurant was quiet - the staff were active - getting promotions ready for the week's events with respect to the UEFA European Championships soccer - they were raffling off a very attractive Guinness cooler.  A really nice young man came up to me with a menu and I told him I was looking to try something different than my standard - but always great - cheeseburger and fries.  A quick gaze down the menu and my mind was made up - I would have one of their Sri Lankan specialties - Butter Chicken with basmati rice and Na'an bread.

It took about ten minutes before my meal was ready and it was well worth the wait!  There was a healthy portion of Butter Chicken in very rich looking sauce - a big serving of basmati rice and two wedges of lightly buttered Na'an bread.  I took the big spoon they provided and launched into my first piece of Butter Chicken - it was scrumptious!  I moved a couple of the pieces of chicken out of the way to get at some of the very ample serving of sauce - to mix it with my rice - and had two big helpings of rice - made all the better with the sauce.  The Na'an bread was soft, yet a little crisp and very tasty - owing to the little bit of butter.

I made my way through the entire meal - hardly taking time to breathe in between mouthfuls!  By the time my plate was clean - my stomach was full!  I caught my waiter's eye - asked for the bill and was out in probably a little over 1/2 an hour.  The Butter Chicken was $23 - so all in all the meal was just over $30 with tax and tip - a fair price in today's era of high food prices everywhere.  On my next trip to Ye Olde Orchard I think I just may have found something to rival my mindless decision to have a burger every time!  If you are looking for a departure from the traditional bar fare - I highly suggest giving Ye Olde Orchard and their Butter Chicken a try - I think you will love it!

Wishing you peace, love and joy always...




RossG3.ca


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Insights Into Heaven on Earth

Lynn Kerr - The Bird Lady of NDG

Leon Maliniak: A Full 360° Turnaround