Chalet BBQ: No Place Quite Like This!

Recently my sister Susan and her husband Jim were in town from their native Mississauga, ON.  For many years I had lived with my Mum, assisting her and keeping her company since my Dad's death in 2007.  In November of 2023 we transferred my Mum into Le Wellesley - a wonderful senior's residence in the West Island.  I moved from our condo in mid-March of this year and neither my sister or my Mum had seen my new place.

So we made a plan.  They were to come over to my apartment on Saturday afternoon to visit my new place and then we were going to go to Chalet BBQ on Sherbrooke at Addington.

As a bit of a back story, my Mum has always considered the Chalet BBQ as her favourite restaurant - since the first week she came to Canada from her native London, England in the early 1950's where my Dad took her there as her first meal out.  Her favourite line was always; 'you can take me to the Ritz Carlton or you can take me to Chalet BBQ - I'll be equally as happy there!'  In recent years, my Mum has lost pretty much all of her sense of taste - and with it losing the desire to eat - especially going out and spending good money where she would not enjoy any of the meal to the degree she used to.

We convened at my apartment around 2:30pm on the Saturday.  My family loved my place - with good reason - it is wonderful!  My sister made me a super lemon poppyseed loaf as a house warming gift - and we had tea and my favourite blueberry cake donuts from Tim Horton's and Dunkin' Donuts as a light snack.

Then it was time for dinner!

We arrived at Chalet BBQ and owing to the time, the dining traffic was light.  We had our choice of tables to sit at.  I generally get there once/month - but hadn't been for several months previous to this - and the staff were all very welcoming to myself and my Mum as they hadn't seen either of us for a long while.  I ordered a Budweiser and my Mum had a glass of wine.  We ordered our chicken dinners - 1/4 breast and fries for Susan and I, 1/4 leg and fries for Jim and my Mum - of course with buns and their delectable sauce!

Within 5 minutes our meals came and we tucked into the feast!  What amazes me about Chalet BBQ is that no matter how often you go there - it is always like a first experience - in all the time I have been going there I have never had a bad meal!  And this evening, something wonderful happened.  Over the course of the entire meal, my Mum kept saying how great the chicken was -and the fries - and the buns and sauce!  She could taste it all!  This amplified my experience manyfold!  

The only disappointing part about the entire evening was that we wanted to order a piece of their incredible Boston Cream Pie to share for dessert, but they had taken it off the menu!  As with most restaurants and almost all services, prices have risen sharply post-Covid - but Chalet BBQ still represents a significant value for the dollar.  I urge everyone who reads this to make it a stop on their Montreal resto journey!  You will not regret it!

Wishing you peace, love and joy always...





RossG3.ca

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Insights Into Heaven on Earth

Lynn Kerr - The Bird Lady of NDG

Leon Maliniak: A Full 360° Turnaround