My First Stop - Nikas!

It was a crazy day today!  My plans changed several times and finally I was able to leave my house right on noon, with a goal of heading towards my destination of Place Guy Viau - a little park on Sherbrooke and Royal which the City of Montreal has done up really nicely with Adirondack chairs, a couple of picnic tables and benches all over.

As I headed south on Walkely for Somerled, I ran into a friend -  Rosanna - who invited me into her home to visit with her son - Jacob.  They live in a very small dwelling which is beautiful in its simplicity and charm.  The space is cramped - owing to Jacob's passion which is 3D Printing - and an entire host of other extremely brilliant endeavours which partner with his skill at conceptualizing and then building these 3D models.  We spent an hour together - and I was completely enthralled the entire time!  This is not the last you will hear from me about Jacob and his talents!

I left there and continued on my journey.  As I got close to the park, I remembered back to several nights prior when I dropped off two friends at Nikas Restaurant on Sherbrooke and Hingston as they were going to meet a couple of their other friends.  I decided at that moment to have lunch there!

In the last 6 months I have been to Nikas regularly - mostly to meet friends for a tea/coffee or the odd breakfast.  I had never partaken of their dinner menu although I had heard good things about it.  As soon as I entered I was greeted by the friendly face of Audrey - the waitress - she was training a new waitress - Alma - who was doing her first shift at the restaurant!  I found an empty booth and sat down.  Inside a couple of minutes, Alma was over with water and a menu.  I asked her for a cup of tea and launched into the menu.  Nikas has a one page Specials Menu with lunch specials from 11am-4pm.  The meals are served with your choice of soup and coffee/tea or dessert and prices are in the $14.95-17.95 vicinity - really great value for what you get!

I opted for a two stick pork souvlaki plate which came with rice, a choice of house potatoes or fries and chef salad.  The soup today was cream of broccoli - which wasn't really a creamed soup at all as it had nice morsels of carrot and broccoli in it and was extremely tasty and piping hot.  Inside of 5 minutes of finishing my soup - my meal was delivered to my table.  It was a big - full plate!  i didn't know where to start!  I tried the house potatoes first and found them to be very succulently seasoned.  Then I skinned the souvlaki off its stick and had the first mouthfuls - they were tender, juicy and delicious!  The rice was also extremely nice.  I am not a huge salad eater, but found the dressing to be very enjoyable.

Audrey is a bundle of laughs!  She is bubbly - intelligent - and always ready with something relevant and interesting.  Because of the openness of the restaurant - you can hear pretty much all conversations - hence Audreys continuous repartee with the clients is always audible - and appreciated - at least by this client!  I said Nikas was my first stop on my new mission to tour all NDG and vicinity restaurants - that is a misnomer - it will be added to my regular weekly stops for the time being.  I enjoyed myself so much with the food and the banter from Audrey - that I must get more of this!  I give Nikas two very enthusiastic thumbs up - and invite you to try one of the best Greek restaurants in Montreal.

Wishing you peace, love and joy always...





RossG3.ca












 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Insights Into Heaven on Earth

Lynn Kerr - The Bird Lady of NDG

Leon Maliniak: A Full 360° Turnaround